The simple egg salad sandwich is a classic summer lunch fare, but is perfect all year long as a quick and easy mid-day meal. This recipe is a super simple take on a classic. No funny spices, hard to find ingredients or unevenly chopped veggies. Just perfectly hard boiled eggs and the right amount of seasoning.
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
Why this recipe works!
A classic egg salad sandwich is a refreshing, healthy and simple lunch. This recipe, scales things back even more by letting the hard boiled eggs really be the star of the show. To that you’ll add your favorite mayonnaise, everything but the bagel seasoning for a little texture and flavor and mix it all up to the perfect consistency.
I always recommend keeping hard boiled eggs in your fridge as a staple ingredient, and if you have the eggs at the ready, you can have this sandwich put together in less than 10 minutes.
A few notes on the ingredients:
- Mayo vs. Miracle Whip: As I talked about in my tiny tuna melt recipe, I’m partial to Miracle Whip and my husband likes Mayo. For this recipe, use whichever mayonnaise like product your family prefers.
How to make an egg salad sandwich (simple step by step instructions)
To make things even simpler, here are step-by-step photos to help you every step of the way.
- Perfectly hard boil your eggs (see below for simple instructions)
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Mix the egg yolks with the mayo and everything but the bagel seasoning until super creamy.
- Chop the egg whites finely and add them to the egg yolk mixture.
- Mix the whites and the yolk mixture together until well incorporated.
- Scoop onto your sandwich bread, top with a crunch piece of lettuce and enjoy!
For all measurements and a more detailed guide, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as it’s in a sealed container you can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. I like to make a double recipe when I make it. I use half the day I make it and then the other half 2 or 3 days later.
If you don’t like mayo or just don’t have any on hand, you can mash an avocado up with a squeeze of lemon and use that in it’s place. Alternatively you could also use plain greek yogurt or even hummus. The goal is to add a creamy binder to the eggs to make sure the egg salad has a good consistency
If you want to keep things classic, use a sandwich loaf for your egg salad sandwich. We like wheat bread, but you could use white as well. Toasted sourdough is another great option for this sandwich as well. Alternatively you could make this into an egg salad lettuce wrap using the lettuce as a vessel for the egg salad. Or make a simple wrap with a tortilla with egg salad on the inside.
What’s the best way to hard boil eggs?
Everyone has their own way of boiling eggs that works for them. However, if you are looking for a simple method, look no further. This method is relatively hands off and leads to easy to peel eggs that are perfectly cooked every time.
To make hard boiled eggs, start by filling your pot about ⅔ of the way with cold water. Add your eggs (I typically do 8-10 at a time) and cover the pot. Then turn the burner on to a medium high heat.
Once your water comes to a rapid boil, let go for about a minute and then turn the heat off. Leave on the stove covered for 20-30 minutes (or longer if you need to jump on a work call or go drive carpool 😉). When you come back, drain the water and they are ready to use.
You can either peel all the eggs at one time and pop them in the fridge peeled in a zip top bag OR just pop them in a bowl with the shell still on. I find they last longer if I leave the shells on and peel them as I need them.
One more simple tip
If you want to add another layer of flavor and nutrition to this egg salad sandwich, go ahead and mash up half an avocado and reduce the mayonnaise amount by half. It's a great way to sneak a serving of fruit in to the sandwich without altering the taste.
Looking for more easy lunch recipes? Try these:
When you try this recipe and love it 😍 let me know by leaving a comment below or 5 ⭐ rating!
Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 TB everything but the bagel seasoning
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 2 large leaves iceberg lettuce
- If you don't have hard boiled eggs on hand, start by hard boiling 4 eggs.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Mix the egg yolks with the mayo and everything but the bagel seasoning until super creamy. Chop the egg whites finely and add them to the egg yolk mixture.
- Scoop half of the mixture onto your sandwich bread, top with a crunch piece of lettuce and enjoy!
Want more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox? Be sure to subscribe below and never miss a thing!
Leave a Reply