Let the sandwich maker do all the work when you make this simple cheese toastie! Dress it up with your favorite hummus and provolone cheese and enjoy a perfectly toasted sandwich in just minutes! These sandwiches are the epitome of simplicity and comfort food wrapped into one neat package.
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
Why a toastie and not a grilled cheese?
The greatest thing about a toastie is that it’s basically a grilled cheese sandwich that has been sealed around the edges by a sandwich maker. The cheese (and other fillings) stays put in a neat little package.
By using a sandwich maker, you cut down on the time in the kitchen, the dirtying of frying pans and the need for virtually any clean up. In this recipe, you’ll put the hummus and provolone onto the bread in the sandwich maker and let it do the rest of the work!
This is not the sandwich I turn to when I’m looking for a decadent grilled cheese experience. For that, I go to my fancy grilled cheese sandwich. It's a bit more work, but totally worth it if you want a grilled cheese "experience".
A few notes on the ingredients:
- Provolone: Sliced provolone by Sargento is a fan favorite in our house, but you could also use smoked gouda or smoked mozzarella in this recipe
- Hummus: Sometimes I use my hummus recipe, and sometimes I use store bought. Just depends on what's simpler.
Step by Step instructions
To make things even simpler, here are step-by-step photos to help you every step of the way.
Take out 4 slices of soft bread and lightly butter them each on one side.
Then, put one piece of bread on the bottom plates, butter side to the metal.
Spread the hummus onto the bread leaving a little bread showing between the hummus and the crust.
Place the cheese on top of the hummus and then top with the remaining slices of bread.
Close the lid of the toastie maker, and let cook until the indicator light turns green or until the sandwich is brown and toasted on both sides.
Take out of the sandwich maker and slice. Hummus and provolone melts are always really hot when they come out, so be very careful with your first few bites.
For all measurements and a more detailed guide, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Frequently Asked Questions
They are essentially the same thing. Both have the goal of making a simple grilled sandwich with a fillings that get sealed on the sides by the sandwich maker once closed. In the United States they are commonly referred to as sandwich makers and are most likely to be found on college campuses. I'm trying to change that! This is an appliance that should be in all kitchens 😉. In the UK and elsewhere in Europe they are referred to as toastie makers.
Provolone is a mild cheese that often has a slight smoky flavor, that melts really well. If you are looking for something other than hummus to add to a grilled cheese sandwich, you could try something spicy like chili jam or something sweet like apricot preserves or a marmalade.
One more simple tip
Sandwich makers aren’t just for making grilled cheese sandwiches. You can make all types of toasties with all sorts of breads. Try tuna melts, grilled pb&j’s or toasted pizza sandwiches. The options are endless!
Looking for more super simple lunch recipes? Try these:
When you try this recipe and love it 😍 let me know by leaving a comment below or 5 ⭐ rating!
Hummus and Provolone Toastie
- Sandwich Maker
- 4 pieces sandwich bread
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 TB butter optional
- Take out 4 slices of sandwich bread. Lightly butter them each on one side (this step is optional if your sandwich maker is nonstick.
- Then, put one piece of bread on each of the bottom plates.
- Spread the hummus onto the bread leaving a little bread showing between the hummus and the crust. Layer the cheese on top of the hummus and top with remaining bread slices.
- Close the sandwich maker and let cook until the indicator light turns green and your sandwich is golden brown.
- Remove and enjoy! Remember the inside the sandwich is going to be crazy hot, so be careful with your first bite.
Want more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox? Be sure to subscribe below and never miss a thing!