One of the things I love most is having breakfast foods at meals other than breakfast. These cheesy breakfast burritos were in fact what we ate for lunch today (it’s mid April 2020 when I’m writing this).
We are stuck in the house for the foreseeable future and this is a meal that we all love, because everyone gets to have their burrito just as they like them.
The common thread in each of our burritos is a generous amount of melty cheese and some soft scrambled eggs. Add these to a warm soft tortilla with additional fillings of your choice and you’ve just made a breakfast burrito.
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
What goes into a breakfast burrito?
In our house we like to keep them simple sometimes and other times add other good stuff. Breakfast burritos always start with scrambled eggs and shredded cheese. Yep, that’s it. But it doesn’t have to end there. The adults in the house like to stuff other goodness into their burritos.
We typically start by digging through the fridge and seeing what we find. It’s a great way to use up leftovers that might otherwise go to waste..
If there is an avocado, smash it, season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime (whatever citrus you have will work).
Black beans seasoned with a sprinkle of cumin and lime also make a great addition to these simple breakfast burritos. If you had leftover rice from a mexican rice skillet, you could throw the leftovers into these for an even heartier start to the day.
Have extra roasted veggies around, toss them in too. Really, these breakfast burritos are so simple to customize, you’ll want to keep making them just to see what else you can successfully add.
Are these breakfast burritos adaptable for different diets?
Yes, yes indeed they are. You can easily adapt these to be gluten free, dairy free, even vegan if needed. Here’s my suggestion on how to do it:
- Gluten free: Just pick your favorite gluten free tortilla or wrap or use corn tortillas. You’ll follow the rest of the ingredients and recipe the same way.
- Dairy free: You have a few choices here. You can easily substitute for a dairy free cheese or you can make a nut based cheese sauce to put inside the burrito to mimic the melted cheese feel. Alternatively, you can leave it out, but if you do this, I would mash up an avocado or even some roasted sweet potato to help hold the hold thing together.
- Vegan: Now this is a bit more challenging, but totally doable. Instead of eggs, you’ll want to scramble up some tofu with olive oil and spices of your choice. Then you’ll want to see above for cheese alternatives.
I’m not an expert on too many types of diets, but the point is that these are simple and endlessly adaptable based on your needs and what you have in your pantry and fridge at any given time.
How do you make cheesy breakfast burritos?
You’ll start by laying out the tortillas on a parchment or foil lined sheet pan. I like to then sprinkle the tortillas with the cheese. I turn the oven on and pop the cheesy tortillas into the oven while it warms up to give the cheese a chance to melt.
Then I scramble the eggs. I like to make 1.5 eggs per burrito and can scrambled a ton of eggs at a time in my large skillet.
To scramble the eggs, break them into a mixing bowl, whisk them together really well and then season. Pour them into a hot nonstick skillet that has been generously buttered. Cook them on high heat for about 30 seconds and then turn heat down to medium and stir with a spatula until you have perfectly scrambled eggs.
Take off the heat, remove the tortillas with melty cheese from the oven and build and wrap your burritos. TRY NOT TO BURN YOUR FINGERS. Try to move quickly so you can wrap the tortillas while it’s still on the soft side.
Put some of the eggs on top of the cheese, add any other fillings you would like and then roll up by folding the sides in, the rolling from the bottom, while pulling back toward yourself so that you get a nice tightly rolled breakfast burrito.
Lay all the burritos back in the skillet over medium heat to brown on both sides. Alternatively, place them on a sheet pan and pop into the oven for another couple minutes until the tortillas are golden brown.
Serve with salsa, hot sauce or guacamole and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- I like to use soft flour tortillas for this recipe, but you can use the soft taco size, or could just as easily use the bigger burrito size tortillas or the street taco size (which are the perfect size for kids hands). Mission Brand is our favorite, but use what you like.
- Want to make these for a crowd? Lay out the tortillas on a sheet pan and build everything assembly line style. Roll them up as you go and you should be able to fit 10-12 burritos on each sheet tray. Pop in the oven to keep them warm as needed.
- To scramble a big batch of eggs, make sure you use a non-stick pan and butter. Additionally, I like to under cook them just a smidge since they are going to go in the oven for a minute and no one likes dried out eggs.
Looking for other simple breakfast recipes that you can also make for lunch or dinner? Check these out!
Simple Cheesy Breakfast Burritos
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese I like cheddar or colby jack
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup any additional add-ins you like optional
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the tortillas out on it. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle each tortilla with ¼ cup cheese (or more if you like 😉)
- Put the baking sheet into the oven and let the cheese melt while you scramble the eggs
- In a large frying pan, scramble the eggs to your liking (see the notes section for my perfectly soft scrambled method)
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven, divide the scrambled eggs onto the four melty cheesy burritos and add an other ingredients you would like.
- Fold the burrito bottom up, tuck in the sides and roll finishing with the seam on the bottom
- Either return the burritos to the sheet pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes to brown up OR put into a dry skillet and brown on both sides.
- Cut in half, serve with salsa (or guacamole) and enjoy!
Nutrifox ID: 103369