Adults love tacos, kids love tacos, dragons love tacos and everyone loves tacos! If you don’t know what I mean about dragons loving tacos, check out this book…it’s a real winner!
But, I digress.
They don’t like spicy tacos, but these fish tacos with spicy slaw isn’t for dragons, but it is for the rest of us!
When I think fish tacos I think summer, I think beach and I think of sitting by the ocean eating something yummy and full of flavor. Well I live in Chicago, so the beach and ocean are out the question. What’s not out of the question is always making something yummy.
Fish tacos fit the bill perfectly!
I’m lucky in that my kids really like fish, so these fish tacos are nice addition to Taco Tuesday’s. You might know that I like to meal plan, and one of the ways I do this is by creating a theme for each day of the week. Taco Tuesdays are one of the consistent themes most months. It’s easy, everyone loves them and they have endless possibilities.
This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. Want to make it even faster? Throw the spicy slaw together the night before and let it marinate in the fridge. The flavors really develop and makes getting dinner on the table even simpler. Don’t worry, it even stays crunchy!
The sides for this dish are just as simple.
We eat these tacos with corn on (or off) the cob and spanish rice. When corn isn’t in season (or I have run out of the stash from my freezer), we like to make simple black beans or black bean puree to go with it. Either way, it’s a five minute prep and you have a complete meal that kiddos (without the spicy slaw, I just shred some carrots for them to use as a topper) and adults alike will love.
Recently, I found these really great street taco-sized tortillas that are super fun. Perfect for tiny hands, or us adults who definitely want more than one, these tiny tortillas work really well with these fish tacos. These tiny tortillas were a big win for this momma!
- One 120z bag of cabbage slaw (or any slaw of your choosing)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon of the sauce from a small can of chipotles in adobo sauce (if you like things spicier, finely chop one of the chipotles and add it into the slaw)
Fish – Marinade
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 3 TB lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 lb. white fish of your choice. I like tilapia for this recipe.
- Flour tortillas – taco sized or street taco size
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a gallon size ziploc
- Marinate the fish for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan with about 1 TB olive oil and pan fry the fish. About 3-4 minutes per side. Be careful not to overcook.
- While fish is cooking, warm tortillas on a foil lined pan. I like to place in a hot oven (350 degrees) for 3-4 minutes, then turn the oven off and cover with another piece of foil. The steam helps keep the tortillas soft.
- When fish is done it’s time to assemble the tacos
- Place tortilla on a plate, but a few pieces of fish on the bottom, top with spicy slaw and a squeeze of lime