“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
Raw cookie dough might just be one of the best treats to satisfy my sweet tooth. And yes, we all know we aren't supposed to be eating it. This delicious edible sugar cookie dough recipe is just the solution to our cookie dough cravings. And the best part, you make it just like traditional cookie dough. No fancy tools, no fancy ingredients. This recipe is truly the best way to have your cookie dough, and eat it too!
Edible cookie dough tastes just like the real thing
Just like so many cookie recipes you've seen before, this recipe starts with the baking basics. Flour, sugar, butter, vanilla and some mix-ins come together to form an edible version of the cookie doughs you know and love.
With one little deletion (the eggs) and one easy extra step (heat treating the uncooked flour), you have a treat you can eat anytime of day. This quick dough can take on the flavor of your favorite cookies.
Use it as a treat on it's own or as a dip for pretzels or graham crackers. Feeling extra fancy, mix in bites of cookie dough into a homemade ice cream or milkshake. Even use it as part of another no bake dessert (cookie dough chocolate mousse pie anyone)? The possibilities are endless!
- Butter: When baking (or not baking in this case), I like to use unsalted butter. Already softened butter will make this recipe a breeze.
- Sugar: I use only white granulated sugar in this recipe. I like to leave the brown sugar for when I make edible chocolate chip cookie dough.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract is always my go to for dessert recipes, but use what you have on hand (imitation vanilla extract will be just fine).
- Flour: All purpose flour or any gluten free substitute will work. Make sure to heat treat it and bring the temperature of the flour up to at least 160 degrees before using in the recipe.
- Milk: Whole milk, skim milk, or plant based milk will all work.
HOW TO MAKE EDIBLE Sugar COOKIE DOUGH
It takes just a few simple steps before the cookie dough is ready to eat!
The first step and probably the most important step is heat treating your flour. Spread the flour out on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
Then, you’ll mix the rest of the ingredients as you if you were making real cookies. You can do this with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Either way, the process is the same.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add the vanilla. Mix until combined.
Add the flour, give it all mix and then add the milk ingredients.
Mix it all up until combined.
Voila, edible sugar cookie dough. Now add in the sprinkles if you liked. Just fold them in with a spatula until evenly dispersed and you are ready to enjoy.
The short answer is that you'll end up with a not very exciting cookie (kinda). Because there is no rising agent (like baking powder or baking soda) and no eggs like a regular sugar cookie dough, the texture won't be quite right. They would be edible, but I wouldn't recommend it. Try this cookie recipe instead.
To make vegan cookie dough you can easily substitute your favorite vegan butter for the regular butter and any plant based milk for the regular milk.
To make gluten free edible sugar cookie dough simply substitute the all purpose flour for your favorite gluten free 1:1 substitute flour, being sure to still heat treat it as directed.
How to heat treat flour
Raw flour can contain harmful bacteria that when eaten raw, can make you sick. For the same reason you want to stay away from consuming raw eggs, you want to stay away from eating raw flour.
Heat-treated flour is the answer to making this easy edible cookie dough recipe safe to eat without baking. The good news is that flour is easy to treat and make safe.
We know that heating the flour will kill the bacteria. Killing the bacteria will then make the flour safe to consume. To do this, you’ll need a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and your flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On your parchment lined baking sheet, spread the flour into a thin layer and bake for about 5-7 minutes. You want the flour to reach a temperature of 160 degrees.
- Take it out of the oven, let it cool and continue on with this recipe.
Awesome Toppings and Favorite Mix-Ins for cookie dough
I really like to add sprinkles to the edible sugar cookie dough, but the base is great for a variety of toppings and mix-ins just like real cookie dough.
Here are some fun ideas:
- during the holiday season crushed candy canes with mini white chocolate chips is festive
- swap the vanilla extract for almond extract and add in crushed almond pieces for a real nutty flavor
- sea salt and caramel chips are always a great pairing
- crushed pretzels add great texture to the sugar cookie base
How to store leftover sugar cookie dough
Edible cookie dough lasts for up to 5 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container. I like to store smaller portions (snack sized) in either 2oz plastic containers with lids or 4oz mason jars. However, any sealed container will work just fine.
When you are ready to go back in for another quick treat, you'll want to let the dough come back to room temperature for a few minutes before digging in. You'll find the edible cookie dough gets hard when chilled.
Looking for other simple sweet snacks? Check these out!
Did you try this recipe and and love it? 😍 Let me know by leaving a comment below or 5 ⭐ rating!
And make sure to sign up for my newsletter and follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more simple recipes! Remember to tag us on social channels when you make a recipe at #simplegraytshirt! I 💖 seeing what you’re up to in the kitchen!
Edible sugar cookie dough
- 1 ½ sticks butter (12 TB)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup flour (heat treated and cooled)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sprinkles (optional)
Heat treat the flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the flour over a parchment lined cookie sheet in a thin layer. Bake for 5-7 minutes until the flour reaches at least 160 degrees.
- Let the flour cool and continue with the recipe
Make the Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix until well combined.
- Stream in the milk and mix until the dough comes together. If the dough seems dry don't hesitate to add additional milk (1 Tablespoon at a time).
- Add in your mix-ins by folding them in with a spatula at the end.
Leave a Reply