These roasted sweet potatoes only take one knife cut and one pan, yet get caramelized and sweet and spicy all at the same time. With just a few ingredients and a super easy method for seasoning sweet potatoes, you can get this yummy side dish prepped and into the oven in just 5 minutes.
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
These really are the best roasted sweet potatoes
So many roasted sweet potato recipes ask for you to chop the sweet potatoes up into cubes before you pop them into the oven to cook. This isn’t always so simple and can take a fair bit of prep time. The best part of this recipe is that you just need to make just 3 cuts to each potato. One on each end, and then one down the middle.
I’m also introducing you to the simplest trick for seasoning your sweet potatoes. No bowl, no oily hands. Just one sheet pan and a pastry brush and you are good to go!
A few notes on the ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes: Try and find sweet potatoes that are all the same size for this recipe so that they all cook at the same rate. You can use any variety of sweet potato you find!
- Spices: If you don’t like the combinations I suggest, use any flavor profile you like.
Simple step by step instructions
You’ll start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and lining a sheet pan with aluminum foil (you could also use parchment paper). Be sure to wrap the foil up around all the edges to make clean up super easy.
Then wash and pat dry your sweet potatoes. With a sharp knife, trim off the ends and then cut it lengthwise in half.
On the foil lined baking sheet, drizzle the olive oil first, then the honey, and then sprinkle all the seasonings over the top. Using the pastry brush, mix the oil, honey and spices together and make sure that the entire pan is covered.
Now, place each piece of sweet potato cut side down on the baking sheet. Give it a little wiggle to make sure the whole surface is covered in good stuff. Once all of the sweet potatoes are on the baking sheet, take your pastry brush and use some of the excess oil and seasoning to brush the tops (the skins) of the potatoes.
Put into the hot oven and roast until soft to the touch and caramelized on the bottom (about 30 minutes).
Once they are fully roasted, take the potatoes out of the oven and immediately use a spatula to loosen from the aluminum foil before they get stuck for good. Plate and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
While I love the sweet and spicy mix of spices in this recipe, you can easily try any of these other flavor combinations with the same method:
◾ BBQ: use your favorite bbq seasoning
◾ Herb-y: use any of your favorite herbs, I like rosemary and Herbs de Provence with kosher salt
◾ Blackened: use your favorite blackening seasoning and add honey to the sheet pan
◾ Chipotle: use the sauce from chipotles in adobo and a bit of maple syrup
◾ Fall Flavors: use cinnamon and maple syrup
◾ Middle Eastern: use shawarma spice blend or za’atar blend with a sprinkle of kosher salt
Yes and no 😂. If you are eating them as a side dish for a meal, they are great straight from the oven. However, they are really good at room temp or even cold, too. My kids and I LOVE snacking on them through the week and eat them straight from the fridge.
Cool them on the the baking sheet then pop into a zip top bag for storing in the fridge. When you need them, you can either warm through the oven at a low temp or in about 15 seconds in the microwave.
One more simple tip
Make a double batch of these when you make them. You can make as many sweet potatoes as you can squeeze sheet pan. I like to use this one, because it fits a ton! Or make two pans at a time and just remember to switch racks in your oven halfway through!
Looking for other ways to use roasted veggies? Try these recipes:
When you try this recipe and love it 😍 let me know by leaving a comment below or 5 ⭐ rating!
Sweet and Spicy Roast Sweet Potatoes
- sheet pan
- 4 sweet potatoes try to find potatoes that about the same size
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ½ Tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry well. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and set aside. On the foil line pan, drizzle the olive oil followed by the honey. Then sprinkle the spices and seasonings over the oil and honey and schmear together with a pastry brush.
- Place the sweet potatoes cut side DOWN on the baking pan and nudge around a bit to make sure the cut side is covered in the oil, honey and spices. Using your pastry brush, brush the skin side with any residual oil and spices from the pan.
- Put into the preheated oven and roast at 400 degrees from 30-40 minutes. You want the sweet potatoes to be soft inside and caramelized on the bottom.
- As soon as your remove the pan from the oven, use as spatula to turn over the sweet potatoes so that they don't stick to the foil pan. Cool a bit and enjoy!
Want more recipes like this delivered right to your inbox? Be sure to subscribe below and never miss a thing!