Do you need a go to appetizer recipe? These super simple two bite potato puffs are going to be it! Super simple to make, easy to make ahead of time and freeze, and have only 3 ingredients! Say what? That’s right, three ingredients. This recipes is definitely considered by some to be “semi-homemade”, but I say, if that’s what keeps it simple then go for it.
I love to use frozen puff pastry dough (I use Pepperidge Farms) for all sorts of things from dinner to dessert, snacks to sides. Today, I’m going to show you how to use the puff pastry dough to make an easy, delicious party worthy appetizer.
A good friend introduced these to me years ago and I had stopped making them for a while. Then I stumbled across a Pepperidge Farm outlet store (I highly recommend you stop into these whenever you see one). They had a crazy sale going on for their frozen puff pastry dough...it was less than ½ the price per package than you normally find at the grocery store, but you had to buy a whole case...so we did!
“This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
What other ingredients can you add to these potato puffs?
You can go in so many directions with these little guys. If you are looking to add a little something to them you could add any of the following:
- Shredded cheese
- Peas and curry powder
- Roasted garlic
What would you serve with these appetizers?
The make a great appetizer or side dish for any meal that you would serve mashed potatoes with. They are just a little bit more fun! But, my favorite way to use them is when I’m having a party. I love doing heavy appetizers when I have people over, sometimes even in lieu of a main meal. They are filling enough to pair with any other small apps, but also small enough that they can make an appearance as a true appetizer at any meal.
One place that these potato puffs will certainly show up this year is at my Hanukkah party. Potato latkes, potato puffs, brisket or kugel...all the things we love to eat in one place at one time!
Lastly, they would work as a great accompaniment to a big bowl of soup or salad for lunch...they are just a little bit more exciting than your regular old bread sticks or garlic bread!
How do I make the potato puffs?
These could not be easier to make...in fact, I can’t even write whole paragraphs about it :
Thaw the puff pastry.
Make the instant mashed potatoes.
Mix in the french fried onions.
Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 12 squares
Plop the potato mix onto the puff pastry.
Bake and enjoy...that’s it, so simple, I promise!
Tips and Tricks:
- Have leftover mashed potatoes? Here’s a great trick for the leftovers. Mix in an egg, some salt and pepper, a handful of shredded cheese and fry them up into little cheesy potato pancakes. You can also add in any chopped veggies you have on hand. I had some leftover canned peas and threw those in. My kids loved them and my husband asked when I would make them again so he could eat them hot. Maybe a real recipe for these needs to appear soon.
- Potato puffs freeze well, so you can make them ahead of time and just reheat as needed.
Looking for other easy appetizer recipes? Check these out!
simple potato puffs appetizer
- 1 pkg puff pastry 2 sheets
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- ½ cup french fried onions
- thaw puff pastry on counter for about 45 minutes, or in fridge overnight
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- make instant mashed potatoes according to package directions
- into 2 cups of the instant mashed potatoes, mix in the french fried onions, stirring gently to combine
- lay out the puff pastry on a parchment lined cookie sheet and roll out to a rectangle shape (or as close as you can get)
- cut into 12 even pieces
- plop about 1 tablespoon potato mixture into the center and then form into a little package by bringing opposite corners together and pinching the seams to close
- repeat with all the squares, and the then second piece of puff pastry
- spread out evenly on parchment lined baking sheet
- bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and puffed, about 20-25 minutes.
Want to make these now? Are you missing some ingredients? Amazon Now can get them to you in a few hours, Instacart can get them to you today. Or add them to your Peapod grocery list and don't be stuck without them again!