tiny tuna melts make the perfect after school snack or quick and simple lunch.
- 2 cans of tuna (prepared as you like)
- 24 ritz crackers (or crackers of similar shape/size)
- 4 oz of cheddar cheese (slices or shredded)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- prepare tuna fish the way you like
- in our house that tuna fish and either mayo or miracle whip (about 1/8 cup per can?
- mix it all up and voila, tuna fish
- lay crackers out on your cooking tray, either a baking sheet or toaster oven tray (depends on how many you want to make)
- scoop about 1/2 tablespoon of tuna onto each cracker (I like to use this small cookie scoop for the job)
- cover each cracker/tuna combo with cheese, either shredded or with small piece of a cheese slice
- bake at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes, then broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is fully melted, but the cracker isn’t burning.
pro-tip: don’t eat them straight from the oven, you will surely burn the roof of your mouth with the melted cheese…trust me!
you can easily make the tuna ahead of time and then just assemble these crackers and bake “to order”. I keep tuna fish in the fridge for up to five days.
if there are leftovers, you can store them in tupperware and eat them the next day…fair warning – they cracker will be soggy, but I have a 4 year old who says they are just as good cold the next day…but i’ll leave it up to you.