a healthier version of classic mac ‘n cheese and with roasted cauliflower. Even your pickiest eater will love this recipe!
- one head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 12 oz pasta (take out about 1/2 cup from 1 lb. box)
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 6 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 frozen cube)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups skim milk (you can use any type you like, but we have skim at all times)
- 16 oz hand grated cheese (I like to use 8 oz of cheddar and 8 oz smoked mozzarella)
- cut the cauliflower into small florets, about the same size as your pasta shape
- spread out on a parchment lined sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- roast at 425 degrees about 30 minutes (until caramelized a bit but not falling apart or charred)
macaroni and cheese
- while the cauliflower is roasting, start making mac ‘n cheese
- bring water to a boil for the pasta, once boiling, cook pasta per directions on the box
- while the pasta cooks, shred your cheese and gather the rest of your ingredients
- drain pasta and begin making cheese sauce
- melt butter in the same pan that pasta cooked in over medium heat
- once melted, add in the flour whisking continously until it become fragant
- continuing to whisk, slowly add in the milk, being sure to get any flour clumps fully incorporated into the sauce
- add in the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper
- keep whisking every few minutes until the mixture comes just to boil
- remove from heat and stir in the cheese you have grated
- once the cheese is fully incorporated, return to medium heat and add the pasta and 2 cups of the roasted cauliflower to the pot
- stir until everything is well coated and heated through
- serve just like that or transfer to a 9×13 baking dish, cover with crunchy topping and broil for 3-5 minutes (watch carefully so it doesn’t burn).
if you want to make this “fancy”, you can use any of the following crunchy toppings and bake the mac ‘n cheese for a few minutes at the end before serving: french fried onions, ritz crackers, panko breadcrumbs. The topping adds a nice texture, but is totally optional.
please, please, please grate your own cheese. the shredded cheese you buy has stabilizers in it and won’t melt as nicely.
Keywords: roasted cauliflower, macaroni and cheese, mac 'n cheese, cauliflower