easy to make slice and bake coffee chocolate chunk cookies will satisfy all sorts of cravings!
for the cookie dough
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 scant cups all purpose flour (that means, don’t overfill the cups)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee grounds
- 1 teaspoon course kosher salt
- 6 oz chocolate chunks or chips (or more if you like)
for egg wash and crunch before baking
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
to make the dough
- in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars, vanilla and coffee together until fluffy
- with the mixer on low, add the flour in slowly, then speed up a bit until it’s just incorporated
- add in the chocolate chunks or chips and mix just until they are well distributed in the dough
- divide the in half
- lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and place half of the dough on the plastic wrap and use your hands to form into a log about 2 1/2″ in diameter.
- then use the plastic wrap to tighten up the log and wrap it well.
- repeat with other half of dough and then place both logs in the fridge for at least two hours but up to 5 days
when ready to bake
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- crack the egg for the egg wash into a small bowl and beat well
- take the log of cookie dough out of the fridge, unroll, but leave sitting on the plastic wrap
- using a pastry brush or paper towel, coat the outside of the log with the egg wash and then use 1 tablespoon of sugar to coat the outside of the cookie dough log
- slice the cookies into about 1/2″ slices
- place cookies on prepared baking sheets and bake 15-18 minutes until just golden brown
- when done, let cool on baking rack completely
these can be frozen at any point, in a log, once sliced or once baked. the dough can stay in the fridge up to 5 days before baking and the cookies are good for almost a week when stored in an airtight container (if they last that long).
if you don’t have instant coffee, you can use instant espresso in it’s place or leave it out (although you’ll miss some of depth of flavor).
Keywords: cookies, chocolate chunk, slice and bake